Friday, April 22, 2011

The Meaning of Virtue

Virtue means conformity to a standard of right or a particular moral excellence. It is a commendable quality or trait,  a manly strength or courage, and a beneficial quality or power of a thing (Merriam-Webster).

A virtue is a trait or quality deemed to be morally excellent and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being. Personal virtues are characteristics valued as promoting individual and collective well being (Wikipedia). 

In the different versions and translations of Old Testament, the word virtue refers to deeds, acts, achievements, affairs or matters which are highly notable and commendable as in the case of King Solomon where the queen of Sheba said, "The word is true which I heard in my country of thy virtues and wisdom (2 Chronicles 9:5). I did not believe them that told it, until I came, and my eyes had seen, and I had proved that scarce one half of thy wisdom had been told me: thou hast exceeded the same with thy virtues" (2 Chronicles 9:6).

In the New Testament or in Christianity, the theological virtues are faith, hope and love, a list which comes from 1 Corinthians 13:13 (pistis, elpis, agape).